How to Attach a Toupee
Despite the common media gags of the wind blowing off a men’s toupees, men’s hairpieces are actually very secure when attached properly. The most common adhesive is toupee tape, which comes in different widths and contour shapes to fit the the polyurethane perimeter where it can be safely applied without harming the wig.
The most common shapes are A, B, CC, and D contours, of which A or B are usually applied at the front of the wig while CC or D are applied at the back. Straight strips are also available for application on the sides or for custom application. The right tape for your wig depends on its shape. If you’re unsure what to choose, contact our helpful staff at Wig-A-Do, who can help you pick the right adhesive for your toupee.
But before you apply the tape, there are some important preliminary steps that will help the maintain a strong, long-lasting bond between the adhesive and your scalp. Following these steps can help lengthen the bond time by 10% or more.
Preparing Your Scalp:
1. Wipe your head with a damp cloth until all visible traces of adhesive are removed.
2. Apply adhesive remover to a paper towel and scrub your head vigorously to remove any remaining residue.
3. Wash your scalp and hair with shampoo, preferably twice.
4. Use an exfoliating scrub to remove any last traces of adhesive residue (recommended).
5. Dry your head and hair thoroughly.
6. Shave your scalp to remove any stray hairs or stubble that may have grown underneath your toupee.
7. Apply a layer of scalp protector around the perimeter of your scalp where the adhesive will be applied. This not only encourages a strong bond, but also protects your skin.
Preparing the Toupee:
1. Turn the toupee inside out and place it on a wig stand or over a towel wadded into roughly the shape of your head. It’s important not to lay the hairpiece flat while applying the adhesive, as this can both damage the toupee and complicate the application of the tape.
2. Check the toupee carefully for any adhesive leftover from the last application. If any remains, spray it with a light coat of solvent and remove it before applying a new layer of tape.
3. Remove the backing from the tape you wish to apply to the back of the toupee (often the CC or D contour piece). Apply the tape to the polyurethane strip around the perimeter of the toupee, being careful to match the contours of the tape to those of the hairpiece.
4. Peel up the corners of the paper from both sides of the tape, leaving a small piece of exposed tape on either side.
5. Apply tape to the sides of the toupee, making sure it overlaps with the exposed areas of the contour piece in the back.
6. Apply the contour shape that belongs at the front of the toupee (usually the A or B shape). If you have a narrow toupee, overlap this tape with the tape at the sides. Otherwise, it’s acceptable to leave a small gap.
7. Remove the paper from the front of the tape.
Applying the Toupee:
1. Moisten your scalp with water. This will delay the adhesive from bonding when it touches your scalp, giving you time to readjust the position of the hairpiece, if necessary.
2. Place the toupee lightly on your head and position it.
3. Press down firmly around the base of the hairpiece to activate the tape and secure the bond.
If you have difficulty the first time you try to apply your toupee, or want to see the process demonstrated for you, give our staff here at Wig-A-Do a call at (856) 235-3534. We’d be happy to help you learn how to comfortable and confidently work with your hair system.
Wig-A-Do has proudly served the following locations for nearly 50 years: Moorestown, NJ; Maple Shade, NJ; Cinnaminson, NJ; Cherry Hill, NJ; Marlton, NJ; Willingboro, NJ; Pennsauken, NJ; Haddonfield, NJ; Collingswood, NJ; Burlington, NJ; Mount Holly, NJ; Audubon, NJ; Camden, NJ; Lindenwold, NJ; Atlantic City, NJ; Camden, NJ; Pittman, NJ; Ventnor, NJ.