There is so much information out there when it comes to wigs. You have the option of human hair or synthetic hair. You have to deter mine which style will best suit your needs. Generally you will want to find which wig style will suit your face to find one that will optimize your looks. You have a number of different hair colors to select from. There are caps that you need to consider as well. Finding all this information can start to become over whelming and to ensure that this is an easy process for you we at Wig-A-Do have put together some easy to follow information for you.
Synthetic Wigs vs. Human Hair
More and more people are finding that synthetic wigs are very close in appearance to a human hair wig. The benefit to getting synthetic wigs is that they are generally easier to care for and many times are less expensive than their human hair counterpart. Another advantage to synthetic wigs is that they are not affected by the weather which means that you will not need to worry about weather frizzing your hair or making it flat. The monofilament fiber that are used to make synthetic wig have a memory of sorts that will assist in maintaining any curl, wave, or texture that you might have gotten with the wig. This allows for those with synthetic wigs to reduce the need for continual upkeep. The down side to synthetic wigs is that they are not able to be dyed or permed and could damage the wig if they are. This type of wig can also be damaged using items such as curling irons and blow dryers.
When you want to use a more natural looking option you will want to get a wig made from human hair. When you have a human hair wig you are able to cut, curl, color or style as it suits your personal taste. You should be aware that human hair wigs are more expensive and require more care then the synthetic wigs. There are some human hair wigs out there that combine human hair with synthetic that is able to offer the more natural look while being able to retain the hair style better.
There are four basic types of human hair that are used to make wigs
- Chinese hair this type of hair is frequently used to make wigs
- Indian hair is another frequently used hair for wigs
- European or Caucasian hair is generally the most durable and strongest material for wigs. You should also be aware that this type of wig material is one of the hardest types of material to get which makes it more expensive.
- Indonesian hair is not used as often as other materials for human hair wigs
Selecting a Wig Style
The best way to determine what type of wig would best suit your need is to determine what looks work best with which face shape. Generally there are seven basic face shapes. There are a number of different ways in which you can determine what face type you are. The best way to determine what your face shape is would be to look at your face and determine which of the following would best describe your face.
- The oval face is best described as those faces that are widest at the cheekbones. You will find that this width is not wider by much. When looking at an oval face you may notice that the width of the forehead and the width of the jawline are nearly equal. Generally those out there that have this type of face are able to work with almost any hair style. This would then indicate that any wig style would work for those with an oval face.
- When you have a square face you will notice that the face does not narrow much from the forehead to the jawline. There are some out there that have a square face that might notice that the jaw-line may appear to be sharply-angled at the corners. When you have a square face (which is a common face shape) you will want to avoid wigs that have blunt bangs, jaw-length bobs, and center parts. You will want to look for a wig that has side-swept bangs. You will notice that medium to short length hair will work well with those out there with a square face.
- Those that have a round face will notice that they face is widest at the cheekbones and narrow slightly at the jawline and the forehead. Generally you will find that there are no angles with this type of face shape. You might also want to note that this is one of the most common types of face shapes that are out there. To compliment this type of face shape you will want to avoid any hairstyles that are ear length. You will want to find a style that is able to add volume to the top of the head. You would be fine with very short hair just not hair that is ear length. You will find that wispy or side swept bangs will compliment your face shape as well.
- Those that have a triangle or pear shaped face will notice that are more narrow at the forehead and widest at the jawline. You might notice that the jawline is rounded or angular. To compliment your face shape you will want to have volume at the top of your head and avoid chin length styles.
- Heart or inverted triangle face shapes this type of face shape this would be basically the flip of the triangle or pear face type you will see the forehead is wider and the jaw line is narrower. Those with heart shaped faces do better with wigs that are chin and jaw length bobs. Curly or wavy long hair will also compliment this type of face shape.
- Those out there that have an oblong face shape will notice that have similar qualities as the square face except it is longer. You will want to avoid wigs that have a center part when you have an oblong face shape. The best type of hair style for this type of face shape would be curly or wavy hair that is either short or medium in length.
- The last type of face shape that is out there is the diamond face shape. This is a very uncommon type of face shape. You would have a narrow jawline and forehead and a wide cheekbone area. Short hair styles work best with this type of face shape. You will also want to try to avoid center parts.
Having a wig specialist is important to help you find the wig that would best suit your needs. Determining which wig will best suit your needs and makes you work best is what we are here for. We want to make sure that you feel confident with your new look and are able to get the look that you want. For those in the South Jersey or Moorestown, NJ area and would like a quality wig store near you feel free to:
Give Us a Call at (856) 235-3534!