Choosing either a human hair or synthetic wig can be a daunting task and it can be difficult deciding where to start the process. With so many styles, colors, brands, and wig types, choosing the right one can be overwhelming, to say the least. Knowing the difference between human hair and synthetic hair is a good starting point for making your decision. Choosing between the two hair types is one of the most important decisions you will make when it comes to choosing your perfect wig.
There is a common misconception for first-time wig buyers that human hair wigs are the best because they appear more natural. However, if you get a high-quality synthetic wig, it can be difficult to discern between the synthetic hair and real hair.
Wigs made from human hair look, feel, and act just like your natural hair, but it is important to know all the pros and cons of human hair wigs:
- Styling versatility
- Natural look
- High maintenance
- Higher cost
- Lack of color variation when trying to replicate or replace wig
- Color fading when exposed to light
- Reacts to weather
Synthetic wigs are made from man-made fibers using special technology to give the appearance and feel of natural hair. Other pros, and some cons, of synthetic hair are:
- Easy care
- Style memory
- Large color selection
- Lower cost
- Low maintenance
- Natural look
- Unnatural shine
- Less styling options
- Cannot change color
How to Decide Which Hair is Right for You
When you’re trying to decide which hair is right for you, there are a couple questions you need to ask yourself:
- What is your budget? Knowing how much money you can spend on a wig will help you decide between the fibers. If money is tight, the synthetic wig hair is the better option.
- What type of hair loss do you have? If you know whether or not your hair is going to grow back, it can help you decide if you are going to need a wig long-term. Since human hair wigs last longer and you find that you need a long-term wig, that is the better option for you. If you know your hair will grow back, a synthetic wig is the better option.
- Do you frequently change your look? If you’re someone who like to change their hair every couple months, human hair wigs are the option for you. With human hair wigs, you can straighten, curl, and color the hair. With synthetic wigs, they can’t be colored and can only be styled with heat tools only if they are heat-resistant.
Ultimately, choosing between human hair and synthetic hair wigs comes down to your personal preference and your budget. If you’re still having trouble deciding which hair is the right choice for you, contact the wig experts at Wig-a-Do today at (856) 235-3534.