Just like anything else you wear; your wig can get worn out. If you use your wig every day, it can start to look less than ideal due to wear and tear. However, wig repair in Mount Laurel, NJ is easier than you think. The first step to keeping your wig looking beautiful and healthy for as long as possible is proper wig care.
Emergency reparation methods may work for a short amount of time, the only way to ensure you’re getting the most out of your wig is to properly care for it:
- Always use products specifically designed for wigs
- Use cold water when you wash your wig
- Never scrub your wig while washing it and never brush it while it is wet
- Gently blot your wig with a towel to dry it, don’t wring or rub, and then let your wig fully dry by sitting on your wig stand
- Use a wig brush or wide-toothed comb to brush your wig
- Only wash your wig when necessary – approximately every 8 wears
Unfortunately, even with proper wig care down to the letter, time and wear will still take its toll on your wig.
Repair and Restore
The first step in repairing and restoring your wig is to wash it. Just like natural hair, a good wash can restore some of its liveliness. Next, you’re going to want to use a conditioning spray, or maybe a lot of conditioning spray. This is a quick and easy way to moisturize the hair fibers and reduce frizz. Do not spray the conditioner near the wig cap because it may make the hair fibers become loose and fall out.
After spraying your wig, comb through it with your fingers and repeat as necessary. After that, apply mousse to the ends of the hair fibers in order to hold the moisture, restore a natural shine, smooth out splits in the fibers, and help tame frizzy hair. If your wig still needs help, the next step might be to give it a haircut. If the ends are split and dry and you can’t fix it with products, a haircut can revive your wig.
Sometimes care products aren’t enough to repair your wig so you must take the next step and use some heat:
● Steamer. After spraying your wig with heat protector, use your wig comb to detangle the hair while you follow with a hand-held steamer.
● Boiling water. Boil a pot of water with a small amount of synthetic hair conditioner. Carefully dip the hair into the water for a few seconds, making sure to move it around. Let the wig dry and style as usual.
● Hot air brush. Spray your wig with some heat protector and use the hot air brush as you normally would.
If these methods still aren’t repairing and reviving your wig, bring your wig into Wig-a-Do, Mount Laurel’s premiere wig shop. Our wig experts will be able to either restore your wig or help you find a new one. Give us a call today at (856) 235-3534.